Saturday, March 29, 2014

Bananas

I should put my breaks from the air on here occasionally, so I'll start with one from Tuesday morning on Rock 2.0.

This was a true story.  There was a lot more to the story.  Dave was also in the road when I drove up, flagging me down, which was the first thing that made me laugh.  But breaks are best when you tell just one story and go straight through beginning, middle and end.  Still, I wanted to play with it. After five or more takes I decided to drop the other elements to make it work. 

The punchline was one of several I tried out.  At first I wasn't sure that it was direct enough.  Then I wasn't sure it was fresh enough, that it might be too predictable. 

Sometimes when hear a break back and your delivery is what you wanted, an iffy story can work.  Delivery is a great polisher.  But you can't lean on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment