Thursday, May 18, 2023

The Third Reality

 I've become a bit of a news junkie, just waiting for the Orange Caligula to get his cumuppance.  

Which it looks likwwillnever happen.

My significant other, while he is a gentleman AND a gentle, loving man, is also a (gasp! clutch da pearls!) Conservative, and consumes a lot of Right Wing media, so while I consume Joy Reid's The ReidOut show on YouTube and Brian Tyler Cohen's No Lie podcast as well as the more mainstream Comedy Central Daily Show and Jon Stewart's The Problem With, in addition to my mainstay, NPR, I believe that Fox News is being sued and Biden has been our President since November of 2020.  I believe that the insurrection on January 6th of that year was an act of treason, and I want Orange Caligula in PJs that match his complexion, and jingling chains.  I want him charged with treason.

But when you tune into Fox news, "Trump is doing great!  Etc!"  It's bizarro world.  Republicans, apparently, just MAKE SHIT UP THAT THEY WISH WAS TRUE AND THEN DECIDE TO BELIEVE IT WITH ALL THEIR MIGHT.  This involves all methods of denial, including violence, all forms of bullshit schoolyard argument, including "I'm rubber and you're glue", "I know you are but what am I", "Nuh-uhhh!" of endless denial until the bell rings, and just bald face lying.  Living in an alternate universe adjacent to our own, Republicans cheerfully look down on us with the righteous condescention of the hyper-religious, and this is no coincidence; Republicans are deeply entwined with the hyper-religious, as long as they also embrace scary racism.

I started to wonder: Hey, what if EACH of us just decided to live in our own made-up reality?  What would mine look like?

A small herd of blue butterflies brings me my tea tray each morning with reports of the ongoing biome restorations around our precious globe.  The Gaia Reports are the Number One popular news report internationally and nationally!  Our Elder Councils (staffed not only solely by women from Origin Nations around the world who also must have the qualification of being grandmothers, or grandmother age) head the Gaia Councils, who also form the next generation Gaian Guardian Educations and Trainings, which have by popularity combined with scouts and other youth programs and grown in schools as well.  Recently a program to begin integrating small farming interests with golf course lands (and ultimately replacing them) has been very successful, providing employment, youth programs and healthy food for surrounding communities.

That's where mine STARTS.  But I am a fecund LIAR and I can go ON...



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I too am a bit of a junkie. I listen to 'The Daily' and 'Fresh Air,' and I read news stories from the Reddit aggregate, r/news.
    I often find myself feeling a mix of frustration, sadness, and a sense of defeat when encountering individuals who steadfastly cling to 'alternative facts.' It pains me to see how they have fallen victim to misinformation, their fears skillfully exploited to further others' agendas.
    I'm reminded of a quote from Lyndon B. Johnson: 'If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.'

    ReplyDelete