Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Kong Geekery

 I was inspired to dtart feeding Georgie with Kongs by this You Tube post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwZI1isnvPQ

It's more work than I anticipated, because of two things:

Georgie isn't that into frozen.

I like making them fresh for him.

It's a pleasure to think about what I can do for him, and how to keep the good ideas progressing.  For instance, I over-treat, because especially with him being so new here there's lots of adjustment, which means lots of trainng and so lots of treats.  The danger there is putting too much weight on his little frame too quickly, which could lead to injury.really

I can offset this with the meal kongs by adding lots of low-calorie but tasty foods, like frozen bluberries and frozen (just as sweet as fresh, when you let them thaw)green peas, fresh strawberries and bananas.  I always use mostly his kibble, since it's supposedly nutritionally balanced and my vet gave it the nod of approval.  I can also add low calorie protien like hard boiled egg whites, and the yolk for occasional luxury when a kong has lots of thing like chopped cellery and berries and cucumber.  

I also like to drop in the occasional teaspoon of full fat yogurt.  A little luxury, because alll us animals need that!

We need variety and surprises and nice flavors and textures and these things thoughtfully put together.

Plus, its a BLAST.

I think of myself now as a Dog Chef, part time.

I sliced up three bananas and coated them in almond flour before tossing in the freezer.  

I do freeze ELEMENTS that go in the kong, but not kibble slurry(yuck).  My observations told me that the recommended frozrn kongs made for discouraging and unsatisfying fare, which mde the kongs unattractive and therefore ineffective.  Room temp worked much better, even with frozen elements included.  I aim for sweet next to sour, smooth next to crunchy, rich next to refreshing, the way I like a bite of salad.  

The last two days, employing this philosophy, have yeilded better results.  Georgie has been more eager for the kongs, has enjoyed them longer, and I think he's been in a better mood, more accomodating and sweeter natured overall.  The way we all are when we're getting nicely fed.

We are getting to know each other better in many ways, which is especially gratifying because Georgie is huge of heart, generous and kind-natured as well as intelligent.  It instills in me a longing simply to do right by him.


No comments:

Post a Comment