Monday, March 16, 2020

The Part-Timer

When you get a cancer diagnosis, it's like being evicted from your life by an asteroid.

But I decided I  don't have to STAY evicted.  I can reclaim the blast site and set up camp again (after all, we're all just gypsies passing through here).

After facing each day with the hard facts and finding that grieving and sadness were casting shade over my fun, I made the decision; this was also prompted by my radiation schedule.  I go to radiation 5 days a week at the same time every day, then at night I take the same chemo meds before bed every night.  It reminded me of a part-time job.

So that's how I'm viewing the brain cancer now.

It's a part-time job.  I do the job, because people have made it clear that They Love Me, and it's my job to get as healthy as I can and just Be Here Now (although this is a revelation I'm still dealing with, because seriously, am I worth all this fuss?)

But cancer does not get to be my whole life.  I get up in the morning and make coffee and feed the dogs, write, clean, catch up with people I love, reach out to support others as I can, go to radiation, etc.  My day is mostly me and part of it is about the cancer.

I decide which part.

No comments:

Post a Comment