Sunday, February 16, 2020

A Geek's Journey into Brain Cancer: Memorials...

...are for the living.

Peronally I think it's a way to spend money, like a wedding.  And there's not even cake (those stale alices leaning next to the deli sandwiches don'd count).

But my big ego apparently knows no bounds, because my skin crawls every time I think of people saying someone "Lost his battle with cancer."

How dare you?!

YOU don't know, in fact, what he lost or what he gained.  Cancer is the dark fairy at the christening.  It gives by taking away. It's deeply personal in that way.  So don't go shouting tired platitudes you know nothing about.

I would hate someone saying I "lost the battle".

Use a little imaginaion, and say instead that, "After a painful altercation with Robbie, Cancer limped away to try to start over.  Remember it is always starting over.  That's what Cancer does."

There's your plot twist, public service billboard and call to action all in one.

Seriously, we need to stop allowing vogons to write copy.






No comments:

Post a Comment