Sunday, February 2, 2020

Test MY Language Skillz, Will Ya?

The nurse's cool blue eyes were locked on mine.  She took a pen out of her scubs pocket and clicked it helpfully a couple times.

"What's this?"

"A pen!" I said, brightly.

She took off her glasses and put them in the pocket.  "And what are these?"

"Tacky?" I did NOT say.

But I did play along.  She's trying to help me.

"Your glasses," I said obediently, but then I lost it.

Seh opened her mouth to ask something else you ask a 2-year-old and I interjected,

"Twas brillig,
And the slithy toves-"

She frowned, backing up.  Maybe she thought I was having a stroke.

"Did gyre and gimble in the wabe," I said, lingering over the words.

"All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome wraths outgrabe."

Her blue eyes were wide and confounded.

"It's a poem by Lewis Carrol,"  I explained.

"Oh," she smiled the smile of a tolerant bureaucrat and moved on to other matters.

Yep, if you want to wipe out my attitude, you're gonna need to rob it directly from my hot little brain.


No comments:

Post a Comment